Iggy Azalea Explains The Sexual Imagery Of Her Music

Original Story Complex recently caught up with 2012 XXL Freshman Iggy Azalea to talk about her career thus far. During the interview, the Australian Grand Hustle/Interscope signee spoke on the pressures of being a female emcee and the sexually-charge imagery associated with her brand.

Azalea explained that her appearance as a sexual female rapper has always been more problematic in the States than it has in her native homeland. She said that as a result, a lot of what she actually talks about in her music gets overshadowed by her appearance.

"So much of what I do that’s controversial in America wouldn’t be a big deal back home. America is a highly sexualized society but people are afraid to admit what they like," she explained. "When people tell me that I have to be sexy that’s demeaning, not powerful...to a lot of people, a powerful, sexy woman is vulgar. When I first came out people said, 'She only raps about her vagina.' I’m not a vagina rapper! [Laughs]. I talk about many other things."
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 opinions:

Post a Comment